- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Teen charged with murder in fatal shooting of Dexter man
BLOOMFIELD, Mo. -- A 13-year-old boy is charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the fatal shooting of a Dexter man.
The teen, whose name is not being released, is in the Stoddard County Juvenile Detention Center, said Sheriff Carl Hefner.
The victim, Don McCollough, 64, was found unresponsive Tuesday night at a farm east of Bloomfield. Authorities didn't provide details about the slaying, including what led to the shooting or the relationship between the suspect and victim.
Chief juvenile officer Mike Davis is requesting a hearing to determine whether the teen should be tried as an adult.
Sheriff Hefner described the shooting as "very surprising."
"Mr. McCollough is so well thought of in the community," he said.