- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
James W. "Jay" Slinkard, 85, of Cape Girardeau died Friday, Nov. 17, 2006, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Feb. 27, 1921, in Burfordville, Mo., the son of Jess and Carrie Overbeck Slinkard. He and Alma Lee Hill were married on Nov. 29, 1941, in Cape Girardeau. She died March 18, 2006.
Slinkard was a veteran of World War II, having served in the Army from Oct. 20, 1943, to Jan. 31, 1946.
He started with Hill Electric in 1943 with his father-in-law and brother-in-law, John Hill Sr. and John Hill Jr. He later was owner and operator, with his wife, of Jay's Electric Co. for over 40 years.
Slinkard was a member of Grace United Methodist Church, Grace United Methodist Men's Club, VFW Post 3838, IBEW Local 1. He was a volunteer at Cape Girardeau Senior Center.
He was a man of integrity and was loved by all.
He is survived by three nephews, Mark (Lisa) Hill of Frisco, Texas, John "Trea" (Tammy) Hill, III, of Thebes, Ill., Steve (Margret) Slinkard of Fort Worth, Texas; a niece, Gretchen (Charles) Proffer of Apex, N.C.; brother-in-law, John L. Hill Jr. of Cape Girardeau.
In addition to his wife, he was preceded by his parents and one brother, Gerald Slinkard.
Friends may call at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home on Monday, Nov. 20, 2006, from 4 to 8 p.m.
Funeral service will be at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home on Tuesday, Nov. 21, 2006, at 10 a.m. with the Rev. Scott Moon officiating.
Burial will be at Cape County Memorial Park in Cape Girardeau.
Memorials may be made to Cape Girardeau Senior Center, 921 N. Clark Ave., Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63701.