- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Final four starts on rough note for Cubs
Bell City dropped its first five matches and will play in the third-place game today.
The Bell City volleyball team fell in its first two matches in round-robin play Friday in the Class 1 state final four in Warrensburg, Mo., and had to settle for a spot in today's third-place match.
The Cubs (34-3-1) lost their first five sets of the day before salvaging their sixth and final game. Bell City's 1-5 mark Friday set up a third-place match at 9 a.m. today against Osceola, which also won just one of six games.
Winona (32-3-5) will face Santa Fe (33-1-3) in the championship match.
Following a third-place finish last season, Bell City entered the state final four riding a 31-match winning streak. But things could not have started worse for the Cubs, who were routed 25-7, 25-10 in their opening match against Winona, a team Bell City beat in three games in the third-place match last year.
In the second match, Bell City fell 26-24, 25-21 to Santa Fe.
Osceola (25-6-5), the lone newcomer in the final four this year, beat Bell City 25-13 in the opening game of their match. Bell City bounced back to win 25-10 in the final game of the day.