- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
William H. "Jerome" Abernathy, 81, of Oriole passed away Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2006, at his home.
He was born May 29, 1925, in Oriole, son of Omer and Louise Kanard Abernathy. He and Letha Ruby Edmonds were married July 19, 1947, in Cape Girardeau.
Jerome was employed 30 years by the former Bangert Auto Body in Jackson, retiring in 1974. After retirement he drove a school bus 13 years for Nell Holcomb School.
He attended First Assembly of God Church in Cape Girardeau.
Survivors include his loving wife of 59 years; a son, Gary (Kaye) Abernathy of Oriole; a daughter, Sue (Charles) Thiele of Wright City, Mo.; a brother, Gilbert Abernathy of Peoria, Ill.; four sisters, Dorothy Singleton, Leola Richardson and Tillie Farrow of Cape Girardeau, Jennie Rastl of Jackson; two grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and six stepgrandchildren.
Friends may call today from 5 to 8 p.m. at McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Friday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Dean Heady officiating. Interment will follow in Russell Heights Cemetery.
Expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to Lutheran Home Hospice.
Sympathy messages may be sent to the family online at www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.