- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)5
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Without city record, Marie Street residents on hook for thousands in sewer repairs (4/19/17)7
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
No proof of stem-cell successes
To the editor:
I am not a doctor or nurse. I'm a high school graduate. But I feel I have a lot to gain or lose on Amendment 2.
I do a lot of doctoring and nursing in my daily life. My husband has Parkinson's disease. It is a horrific, debilitating, lonely disease that affects the whole family. No one can imagine the struggles a Parkinson's patient goes through each day. One minute he is doing pretty well and the next he can hardly walk. The weakness in his body takes over, and he can hardly walk from the door to his chair or bed. You can imagine our joy when we heard our state was going to get some stem-cell research passed in an amendment.
Our joy was short-lived. I many not be in the medical field, but I do have a computer and know how to access the Internet and do research. I have found no proof of embryonic stem cells helping anyone. I thought I had to be wrong. I had read all the information on Amendment 2 put out by its advocates. They were saying it would help Parkinson's, diabetes (which I have) and cancer. But no facts were found to substantiate this.
After much discussion and soul-searching, my husband and I agreed no possible cure for Parkinson's or any other disease is worth the destruction of thousands of embryos and the abuse and misuse of women to obtain these embryos. We will be voting no on Amendment 2.
MARY and RONALD JANSEN, Leopold, Mo.