- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Politics to profits: Brothers launch new investing concept on Wall Street (10/19/17)1
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- Food Giant in Chaffee is robbed (10/17/17)
- Owner of dinosaur relics demands new board of directors, business plan at Bollinger County Museum (10/17/17)
Census Bureau- Boston is growing not shrinking
The Associated Press
BOSTON -- The U.S. Census Bureau now says the city of Boston is growing -- not shrinking -- acknowledging it underestimated the population by more than 37,000 people.
Its new estimate puts Boston's population at 596,638, rather than 559,034, an increase by 1.3 percent since 2000 instead of a decrease of 5.1 percent, Mayor Thomas Menino said Friday.
Greg Harper, a Census Bureau demographer, said a review of housing data suggested not as many people moved away from the city as initially thought, Harper said.