- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
Stem-cell amendment is Satan's work
To the editor:
Each day of our life should and could be a joyous occasion -- a day of advancement toward our final day of life. Instead, each day seems to be a waiting day for yet another unbelievable experience to unfold: another act of terrorism, another shoot-out in the settlement of someone's envy, hatred or uncontrolled anger. We are becoming less civilized every day.
The value of life is diminishing every day. Will it ever change? Not until we understand why we are here on earth. Until we learn to see life here as a preparatory time for better things in the hereafter, we will never improve. We have become a "me" society instead of a "we" society. In my short lifetime I have seen things go from fair and good to bad and worse to nearly gone.
Morals must start at home, then at church and in school, with discipline and example. If either are missing at any of these steps, a child will become an adult and bite the dust. In the last 50 years, we have dropped our guard on morality with our speech, our teachings, our tolerance and, most of all, our example.
We know now that abortion is wrong. Now we must face Satan again, because this stem-cell amendment we are voting on Nov. 7 is a glorified form of abortion. Think seriously when you enter that voting booth. Vote no on Amendment 2.
ROBERT HORRELL, Leopold, Mo.