- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)28
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)6
Stem-cell plan violates medical ethics
To the editor:
Amendment 2, the so-called Stem Cell Research and Cures Initiative, is a deceptive proposal that would establish a constitutional right to clone and destroy human embryos for research purposes, threaten the health of women who donate eggs, allow clones to pay women for donating their eggs by using fertilization clinics as middlemen, create a constitutional entitlement to taxpayer funding of this research and ensure that one industry, human research cloning, is free from any effective legislative or judicial regulation.
I believe this amendment violates long-established medical ethical norms as reflected in the Hippocratic oath, the Nuremberg Code of 1947 (formulated in response to physician and scientist participation in experiment on concentration-camp inmates in Nazi Germany), the World Medical Association Declaration of Geneva (1948) Physician Oath that sought to protect human life from the moment of conception and the Declaration of Helsinki (1964) that provides guidelines for physicians involved in biomedical research on human subjects.
I believe this proposal has no place in our Missouri Constitution and urge you to vote no on Amendment 2 on Nov. 7.
Dr. MICHAEL C. WULFERS, Cape Girardeau