- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)30
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Area digest Oct22
Silva to speak Monday at soccer refs meeting
Herbert P. Silva, a U.S. Soccer Federation national instructor with extensive professional experience, will be the guest speaker Monday for the Southeast Missouri Soccer Referees Association meeting.
The event is scheduled for 7 p.m. at River Eagle Distributing conference room, 2346 Rust Ave.
Silva's address will be titled "Communication Skills: Walking the Walk and Talking the Talk."
Silva has been an official in the North American Soccer League and the Major Indoor Soccer League, where he also served as director of officials. He also has been a national referee, national referee committee member and a national assessor and instructor for the U.S. Soccer Federation. He also has been the vice president of the Missouri Soccer Association.
In addition, Silva served in the U.S. Marine Corps in the attack helicopter service during Vietnam.
The meeting is open to coaches, players and referees.
Schwartzopf wins demolition derby
Rand Schwartzopf of Nashville, Ill., drove to first place in the Halloween Crash and Bash Demolition Derby event on Oct. 14 at the Show Me Center in Cape Girardeau.
Victor Whaley Jr. of Coulterville, Ill., was second.
Charles Lilly of Scott City finished third, and Dustin Brackett -- also from Scott City -- placed fourth.
Joe Holt of Altenburg, Mo., rounded out the top five.
-- From staff reports