GOLF Hole in one factoids Oct22
Sunday, October 22, 2006
A look at hole in ones at Southeast Missouri's golf courses since the start of the 2000 season through the end of July:
There have been 213 aces.
* Bob Garrett has three -- including two in one round at Cape Girardeau Country Club on March 8, 2000 and one at Dalhousie Golf Club in 2002.
* Ken Swinford also has three, on three different holes at Dalhousie since 2003. He has aced Nos. 5, 11 and 13.
* Dick Davis has three, all at Kimbeland, including two on the 18th hole. He aced Nos. 8 and 18 last year and hit the 18th again this year.
* Durwood Thurman's ace on No. 3 at Cape Jaycee on Feb. 26 of this year was the first in that month since 2002. One ace was recorded in January -- Jan. 2, 2000 -- by Howard Dillard at Cape Country Club. While none has been recorded in December since 2000, on the last day of the last millenium -- three days before Dillard's ace -- Tommy Owens made a hole in one at Cape Country Club.
By month: January, 1; February, 2; March, 16; April, 22; May, 24; June, 39; July, 37; August, 27; September, 20; October, 13; November, 10.
By year: 2000, 31; 2001, 31; 2002, 22; 2003, 38; 2004, 36; 2005, 34; 2006 (through July), 24.
* A country club, Kimbeland in Jackson, has yielded the most holes in one with 93.
|Kimbeland Country Club||93|
|Cape Girardeau Country Club||58|
|Cape Jaycee Municipal||25|
|Dalhousie Golf Club||23|
|Bent Creek Golf Course||13|
* Kimbeland's 12th hole yielded 29 aces in the span, with Nos. 4 and 6 tied for second on the list at 18 apiece. Kimbeland has another hole in double figures and Cape Country Club has three in double figures.
|Bent Creek||No. 6||7|
|Bent Creek||No. 8||3|
|Bent Creek||No. 13||1|
|Bent Creek||No. 15||1|
|Cape CC||No. 2||14|
|Cape CC||No. 4||1|
|Cape CC||No. 6||10|
|Cape CC||No. 8||15|
|Cape CC||No. 11||5|
|Cape CC||No. 13||5|
|Cape CC||No. 16||5|
|Cape Jaycee||No. 3||7|
|Cape Jaycee||No. 6||3|
|Cape Jaycee||No. 8||4|
|Cape Jaycee||No. 12||8|
|Cape Jaycee||No. 18||5|
* The longest of holes in one with yardage information was 195 yards. David Shell aced the second hole at Cape Country Club using a 5-iron to cover that distance on April 23 of this year. Keith Holloway also aced that hole in June 2005, playing it at 186 yards.
Other long holes in one: Tom Hamilton, Cape Country Club's No. 16, 190 yards; Mike Cotner and Pat Apel, Cape Jaycee Municipal Golf Course, No. 6, 188 yards.
The shortest holes in one have been on -- no surprise -- Kimbeland's No. 12, which played as short as 77 yards for two aces and 90 yards for 10 others.
* Of the aces with clubs listed, the most popular club were the 8-iron, the 6-iron and the 7-iron.
Not all the information for each hole in one had all the details on date, distance and club used, thus the difference in numbers from the overall total.
-- Toby Carrig