- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
MOUNDS, Ill. -- Carrie Bell Henderson Porter, 83, of Metropolis, Ill., formerly of Mounds, died Sunday, Oct. 15, 2006, at Massac Memorial Hospital in Metropolis.
She was born Nov. 5, 1922, daughter of Dome and Emma Banks. She married Jake Porter, who preceded her in death.
Porter worked several years with the state of Illinois Department of Agriculture. She was a former 4-H leader, and had been an active member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Mound City, Ill.
Survivors include a daughter, Barbara "Bobbie" Townsend of Clarksville, Tenn.; four sons, James Henderson of Chicago, Nathaniel Henderson of Fairfield, Calif., Jake Porter of Evansville, Ind., Phillip Porter of Paducah, Ky.; a sister, Essie Williamson of Mounds; 19 grandchildren; and 21 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by two daughters, three sisters and three brothers.
Friends may call at Massie Funeral Home in Mounds from 5 to 8 p.m. today.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Mary's Church, with the Rev. William McGhee officiating. Burial will be in Mound City National Cemetery.