- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)15
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Tour de Cape was a great event
To the editor:
This past weekend, 263 bicyclists descended on Cape Girardeau for the seventh annual Tour de Cape. The weather could not have been better even though the morning start was a bit brisk. With the fall colors beginning to give their show, the ride north of Cape toward Trail of Tears State Park and into Southern Illinois was absolutely beautiful.
The organizers and volunteers did a fabulous job of putting this ride together. The rest stops were well-stocked with plenty of great food and drinks, and everyone was so nice. The massive effort that was put into organizing and completing this event should be recognized. I would like to thank Patrick Koetting, Steve and Jan Gerard, Janie Meyer, all of the volunteers and all of the sponsors that allowed this event to happen. Without all of the hard work and the dedication they put forth, this event would not be able to help those with disabilities at Mississippi Valley Therapeutic Horsemanship have an equine-facilitated educational opportunity.
The proceeds from this event and the proceeds from previous Tour de Cape events have gone to supporting this not-for-profit organization. I would urge anyone who enjoys bicycling, meeting new people from other regions and states and helping those with disabilities to be a part of next year's eighth annual Tour De Cape tentatively scheduled for the first Saturday of October 2007. Events like these help bring joy to those who most need it.
ROXANE MAGNUS, Secretary, Velo Girardeau Bicycling Club, Cape Girardeau,