- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)4
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Tour de Cape was a great event
To the editor:
This past weekend, 263 bicyclists descended on Cape Girardeau for the seventh annual Tour de Cape. The weather could not have been better even though the morning start was a bit brisk. With the fall colors beginning to give their show, the ride north of Cape toward Trail of Tears State Park and into Southern Illinois was absolutely beautiful.
The organizers and volunteers did a fabulous job of putting this ride together. The rest stops were well-stocked with plenty of great food and drinks, and everyone was so nice. The massive effort that was put into organizing and completing this event should be recognized. I would like to thank Patrick Koetting, Steve and Jan Gerard, Janie Meyer, all of the volunteers and all of the sponsors that allowed this event to happen. Without all of the hard work and the dedication they put forth, this event would not be able to help those with disabilities at Mississippi Valley Therapeutic Horsemanship have an equine-facilitated educational opportunity.
The proceeds from this event and the proceeds from previous Tour de Cape events have gone to supporting this not-for-profit organization. I would urge anyone who enjoys bicycling, meeting new people from other regions and states and helping those with disabilities to be a part of next year's eighth annual Tour De Cape tentatively scheduled for the first Saturday of October 2007. Events like these help bring joy to those who most need it.
ROXANE MAGNUS, Secretary, Velo Girardeau Bicycling Club, Cape Girardeau,