- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)16
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)6
Tour de Cape was a great event
To the editor:
This past weekend, 263 bicyclists descended on Cape Girardeau for the seventh annual Tour de Cape. The weather could not have been better even though the morning start was a bit brisk. With the fall colors beginning to give their show, the ride north of Cape toward Trail of Tears State Park and into Southern Illinois was absolutely beautiful.
The organizers and volunteers did a fabulous job of putting this ride together. The rest stops were well-stocked with plenty of great food and drinks, and everyone was so nice. The massive effort that was put into organizing and completing this event should be recognized. I would like to thank Patrick Koetting, Steve and Jan Gerard, Janie Meyer, all of the volunteers and all of the sponsors that allowed this event to happen. Without all of the hard work and the dedication they put forth, this event would not be able to help those with disabilities at Mississippi Valley Therapeutic Horsemanship have an equine-facilitated educational opportunity.
The proceeds from this event and the proceeds from previous Tour de Cape events have gone to supporting this not-for-profit organization. I would urge anyone who enjoys bicycling, meeting new people from other regions and states and helping those with disabilities to be a part of next year's eighth annual Tour De Cape tentatively scheduled for the first Saturday of October 2007. Events like these help bring joy to those who most need it.
ROXANE MAGNUS, Secretary, Velo Girardeau Bicycling Club, Cape Girardeau,