Last week, the assistant fire chief reported that only a quarter of Cape Girardeau residents were within earshot of an emergency siren. The Southeast Missourian's online poll asked, "Do you think Cape Girardeau needs to purchase more emergency sirens?" Due to rounding, percentages may not add up to 100. (286 votes)
*75.5 percent: Yes
*24.5 percent: No
* "My house is near the mayor's. He is up on a hill and can hear the existing sirens. We are down in a low area surrounded by hills, and cannot."
* "When I moved here, I was shocked to see just one in the area. When I lived in Georgia, we had many sirens and everybody that did not have a basement had a designated shelter to go to."
* "I live about 3 blocks from Arena Park and cannot hear the sirens from inside my apartment or in my car. The only time I can hear them is when I'm already outside watching the storm."
* "I can't hear them in Chaffee, Mo."
* "If they did, they would be like the roundabouts -- they wouldn't work."
* "Up the taxes, we need more sirens!"
* "We need one on every street."
* "We need it badly."
* "I can't hear it in my home on Cape Rock Drive."
* "Cape Girardeau should have had a siren system installed a long time ago. It's too late after a storm like the one that hit Crosstown, Mo."
* "They don't know how to properly use the ones they have."
* "There is no question that we need more. This should be top priority. This could save lives!"