- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Church briefs 10/7/06
* The Gloryroad Travelers of Mounds, Ill., and a guest group to be announced will sing at 7 p.m. at the Shiloh Baptist Church in Villa Ridge, Ill.
* Scott City First Assembly of God Men's Ministry will hold an indoor/outdoor flea market from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* The Golden Road Quartet will sing at 10:30 a.m. at the Randles General Baptist Church homecoming in Randles. Dinner will be served at noon.
* Hanover Lutheran Church is celebrating 160 years of worship in October. Today the Rev. Ellis T. Rottmann will deliver the message at the 7:45 and 10 a.m. services, with a reception at 9 a.m. in the meeting room. Rottmann served Hanover as pastor from 1968 to 1973.
* The Historic Church and the School Museum at Hanover Lutheran Church will be open Sundays in October from noon to 2 p.m. for tours.
* A whole pork sausage supper will be held from 3:30 to 7 p.m. at Zion Lutheran Church, two miles south of Gordonville off Highway 25. Carryouts will be available.
Remix service coming to Cape First church
Remix premieres Sunday at 5:01 p.m. in the Cape First building, 254 South Silver Springs Road, next to West Park Mall in Cape Girardeau. Remix is a service for the 21st century with intelligent lights, high-energy music and videos. Remix is geared to 18- to 30-somethings; single or married, with or without children, but anyone who appreciates great visuals and the latest Christian music will enjoy the show. Cape First's "Kids on the Rock" ministry is available for those people with children. For more information, visit: www.remix501. com.
Help make ugly quilts to benefit the homeless
"Ugly Quilt" Weekend at St. Vincent de Paul Parish will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 14 and from noon to 4 p.m. Oct. 15 in the DePaul Center gym, 1912 Ritter Drive in Cape Girardeau. Lunch will be provided Saturday. Participants will make sleeping bags for the homeless. The quilts are easy to make and require no sewing skills. Volunteers are needed to lay out material, thread needles and tie knots. For more information, call Alma Heisserer at 335-9275.
Revival planned at New Life Gospel in Scott City
New Life Gospel Center, 401 Oak St. in Scott City, will be in revival at 7 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Oct. 14. Bill Carter of Jonesboro, Ill., will be the evangelist. Carter has played with the Cowboy Church band in Fruitland and Sikeston, Mo.
Fried chicken, kettle beef served at Wesley
Wesley United Methodist Church of Fruitland will hold its annual kettle beef and fried chicken dinner Oct. 14. Dinner will be from 3 to 6:30 p.m. On the menu are slow cooked kettle beef, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, fresh-baked bread, jams, jellies, beverages and desserts. There will be handmade items for sale at the country store and fellowship all evening. Wesley United Methodist Church is at 142 Carnation Lane, just off Highway 177.
Outdoor service to be held at Pleasant Hill
A service to be held outside will take place at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 14 at the Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church in Fruitland. Bring a lawn chair. A bonfire and hot-dog roast will follow.
Heritage and Visitor Center dedicated
The new Ruth Shelby Memorial Heritage and Visitor Center at Saint Mary's of the Barrens in Perryville, Mo., will be dedicated Oct. 15. The Rev. Henry Grodecki, president of the Association of the Miraculous Medal, and the Rev. Charles Shelby will officiate. The center is in Saint Mary's of the Barrens Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours of the church are available at 1 and 3 p.m. on most Saturdays and Sundays throughout the year and at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. on weekdays. Group tours are by appointment only. Heritage and Visitor Center hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays and noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday (closed on holidays and holy days).
Full Throttle youth revival at First Assembly
The Scott City First Assembly of God "Full Throttle Youth" will be in revival Wednesday through Friday. Special guest speaker will be the Rev. Nathan Morse, pastor of Pleasant Hills Assembly of God Church in Hot Springs, Ark. Youths of all ages are invited. Also, on Friday a youth rally will be held at the church with churches from throughout the district in attendance. Services begin nightly at 7 p.m.
-- From staff reports