- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
High school football: Week 6
This week's games
Friday (all games 7 p.m.)
Central (2-3) at Jackson (4-1)
Last week's games: Jackson 43, Clayton 16, Central 34, St. Charles West 10
Last year: Jackson 44, Central 0
Notes: Both teams enter with winning streaks: Jackson's at three and Central's at two. The Indians have hammered the Tigers by a combined score of 79-6 over the past two meetings. Hykeem Hammonds last week rushed for more than 100 yards for the fourth straight game for the Tigers, while Jackson received its biggest rushing performance of the season last week with Cody Randen's 183-yard performance.
Brentwood (1-3) at Scott City (2-3)
Last week's games: Scott City 36, Chaffee 6; Brentwood 21, Missouri Military Academy 0
Last year: Scott City 26, Brentwood 20
Notes: Scott City used onside kicks, halfback passes and a hook-and-ladder play to rout rival Chaffee last week. Junior running back Cody Carlyle rushed and passed for more than 100 yards in the win, and Chris Blankenship pounded out more than 150 yards on the ground. Brentwood's dormant offense came to life in its first win of the season last week, nearly doubling its point total. Adam Kobler has accounted for most of Brentwood's offense with 491 yards passing.
East Prairie (1-3) at Chaffee (2-3)
Last week's games: Scott City 36, Chaffee 6; Fredericktown 14, East Prairie 12
Last year: East Prairie 55, Chaffee 35
Notes: In trying to climb above the .500 mark and post its first three-win campaign since 2000, Chaffee was burned by several trick plays last week in its loss to Scott City. The Red Devils trailed just 11-6 at halftime. Jerrod Steger rushed for more than 100 yards in the loss. East Prairie has won the past three meetings between the two teams.
Crystal City (4-1) at St. Vincent (2-3)
Last week's games: St. Vincent 9, St. Pius 0; Crystal City 29, Valle 12
Last year: St. Vincent 21, Crystal City 0
Notes: St. Vincent will have its hands full with a formidable Crystal City rushing attack. The state-ranked Hornets have three players with more than 400 yards rushing. Cody DeRousse leads the trio with 576 yards, followed by Danny James with 557 and Demetrius Terry with 470. All three backs average more than 10 yards a carry. St. Vincent squeaked by a struggling St. Pius squad for its second win last week.
Perryville (3-2) at Fredericktown (4-1), 2 p.m.
Last week's games: Potosi 37, Perryville 14; Fredericktown 14, East Prairie 12
Last year: Fredericktown 15, Perryville 14
Notes: Perryville turned the ball over six times in last week's loss. Kris Cottner led the Pirates offense with 89 yards rushing and has 638 yards for the season. Fredericktown is 4-1 thanks in large part to the rushing of David Penwell and Ryan Sawyer. Penwell has 366 yards rushing and Sawyer has 359. The Blackcats last year scored a touchdown and converted a two-point conversion with 30 seconds remaining to deal Perryville a heart-breaking defeat.
-- Jeremy Joffray