Saxon Lutheran Fall Festival set for Oct. 14
Saturday, September 30, 2006
Saxon Lutheran Memorial will hold its 26th annual fall festival from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 14 in Frohna, Mo. The event will bring history to life with displays and demonstrations of traditional arts and crafts. Visitors can see demonstrations of quilting, spinning, weaving, soap making, blacksmithing, cider making, baking in an outdoor oven and the festival's famous apple butter cooking.
Downtown GO Fest to be held Oct. 7
Trinity Lutheran Church invites all to come to the Downtown GO (Gospel Outreach) festival from noon to 7 p.m. Oct. 7. All activities will be on the church parking lot at the corner of Frederick and Themis streets. Featured entertainer will be Christopher Ames, who received the 2005 Kansas City Christian Music Award. Also appearing will be Men of COLOR from Evansville, Ind. Other activities include arts and crafts, a space walk, magician and balloon artist, games with prizes, Boy Scout demonstrations, story lady for the children, puppet shows, a health booth and concessions. An outdoor worship will be held at 6 p.m.
October Marian Youth activities announced
* A Vincentian Marian Youth encounter will take place at 6 p.m. Oct. 8 at the Shrine Church in Perryville, Mo. The five-minute Faith Alive presentation, given by local area youth groups, will start the night off with the St. Vincent Youth Group from Cape on tap for this month. A Mass, incorporating contemporary Christian music, follows with Fr. Rickey Valleroy as the main celebrant. After the Mass will be a weiner roast and hayride. All Vincentian Marian Youth events are geared toward teens and young adults, but all ages are welcome and encouraged to attend.
* VMY's YAC Night (Youth Adoring Christ) is a night of Adoration of our Lord. This event begins at 7 p.m. on Thursday Oct. 19 at the Shrine Church in Perryville. Young people from the area share their musical talents in leading songs of praise and worship. The sacrament of Reconciliation and Benediction are also part of the evening.
* Lutheran Chapel of Hope, on the corner of Pacific Street and College Hill Place on the campus of Southeast Missouri State University, will have a Family Weekend worship service at 11 a.m. this Sunday only. A meal will follow in the student center in the chapel basement.
* ECKANKAR, Religion of the Light and Sound of God, "How God Speaks to Us," 11 a.m. at the Center, 618 Bellevue St.
* St. Paul United Methodist Church at Commerce, Mo., will celebrate an old-fashioned homecoming beginning with the 9 a.m. worship service. Everyone is invited to dress in period clothing. An immersion experience will follow along with traditional hymns and prayers. Fellowship and refreshments will follow after the service. The original church in Commerce was established in 1825. The third annual CROP Walk will begin today at the new Federal Courthouse on Independence and Frederick streets. Registration will be at 1:30 p.m. and the walk stars shortly after 2 p.m. CROP Walks are an ecumenical and interfaith community event to help support the worldwide programs of Church World Service.
* Revival is scheduled today through Wednesday at the Jackson Church of the Nazarene, 2245 Old Toll Road. The revival is from 10:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. today, and at 7 p.m. Monday though Wednesday. Evangelist John David Hicks will speak. At the close of each service, prayer will be offered for the sick.
-- From staff reports