- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)2
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)2
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
If there seems to be more of a hum in Cape Girardeau this weekend, there's a good explanation: There's a music festival downtown, and it's family weekend at Southeast Missouri State University. Anyone looking for something to do won't have to look far.
The City of Roses Music Festival opened Friday night, and there's a full schedule of afternoon and evening performances starting at 10 a.m. today. Bands are performing on three outdoor stages on Themis Street, on Broadway and at the Convention and Visitors Bureau parking lot.
At the university, family weekend activities include Southeast's first OVC Conference game of the season against Samford University from Birmingham, Ala., complete with tailgating activities and special music. And the first university theatrical performance of the fall season opened Friday night at Rose Theatre. "Noises Off," a British farce, is playing again tonight and Sunday and next weekend.
With what looks look a great autumn weather forecast today, look for thousands of music lovers and university fans to be having a good time.
This is one weekend when you can do more than sit on the sidelines. You can be part of the fun.