- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)7
- Man sentenced to life for killing mother, burning her body; mouth taped shut at hearing (1/20/18)
- Poultry in motion: 4-H participants take first in nation with barbecue skills (1/13/18)1
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Chronic wasting disease found in 2 Southeast Missouri deer; whether disease transferable to humans unknown (1/18/18)
If there seems to be more of a hum in Cape Girardeau this weekend, there's a good explanation: There's a music festival downtown, and it's family weekend at Southeast Missouri State University. Anyone looking for something to do won't have to look far.
The City of Roses Music Festival opened Friday night, and there's a full schedule of afternoon and evening performances starting at 10 a.m. today. Bands are performing on three outdoor stages on Themis Street, on Broadway and at the Convention and Visitors Bureau parking lot.
At the university, family weekend activities include Southeast's first OVC Conference game of the season against Samford University from Birmingham, Ala., complete with tailgating activities and special music. And the first university theatrical performance of the fall season opened Friday night at Rose Theatre. "Noises Off," a British farce, is playing again tonight and Sunday and next weekend.
With what looks look a great autumn weather forecast today, look for thousands of music lovers and university fans to be having a good time.
This is one weekend when you can do more than sit on the sidelines. You can be part of the fun.