- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Mother charged after toddler falls out of moving car (7/29/16)2
- Seeking new history: Centurion Development buys former Woolworth building at 1 N. Main St. (7/28/16)5
- Police: Child's video revealed stepfather's abuse of sibling (7/28/16)3
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape to get small-market ride-sharing service carGO (7/29/16)8
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
11 children injured in Calif. bus accident
PALMDALE, Calif. -- A 90-year-old motorist went through a red light Friday morning and rammed a school bus hard enough to knock it over, injuring 11 children, authorities said.
One child was in critical condition, and the car's driver was also taken to a hospital, officials said.
The bus was struck while carrying the learning-disabled students to the Palmdale Learning Plaza in the Antelope Valley northeast of Los Angeles, authorities said.
California Highway Patrol Officer Henry Ross said the elderly woman driving a Lincoln Continental failed to stop at a red light and struck the bus broadside.
"For unknown reasons she did not stop for that red light," Ross told KTTV-TV. Her identity was not released and she was not immediately cited.
The injured children ranged in age from 8 to 14. They included a 13-year-old who was pinned in the wreckage and then flown to Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles County fire Inspector Jason Hurd said.
Another child had a broken arm and the rest had minor injuries, said Roger Gallizzi, superintendent of the Palmdale School District. The bus driver and a special education assistant received minor injuries.
Classes stayed open but counseling teams were made available, Gallizzi said.