Autopsy showed Bollinger Co. man died from smoke inhalation

Saturday, September 23, 2006

An autopsy Friday determined the death of a man found in a Bollinger County house fire was likely accidental.

The autopsy showed that Jimmy Holt, 43, died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation, Bollinger County Coroner Charles Hutchings said.

Holt was found dead in his home on Route DD near Glenallen, Mo., Thursday afternoon. He was discovered near the front door by sheriff's Sgt. Richie McCall, who pulled the body from the fire-engulfed, one-story home, Sheriff Terry Wiseman said.

The fire likely originated in the kitchen, according to Wiseman.

Holt was a smoker, but Wiseman said there was no evidence to support or disprove either cigarettes or kitchen cooking played a role in the blaze.

The cause was still under investigation, but as of Friday the fire was considered accidental, according to Wiseman.

Toxicology testing on the body was scheduled, but results could take several weeks, Hutchings said.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: