- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- Jean Douglass, 80, of Poplar Bluff, formerly of Cape Girardeau, died Thursday, Sept. 21, 2006, at Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center.
Douglass was born April 20, 1926, in Alton, Mo., daughter of Lewis and Jennie Rose Evans Bates. She and Russell Douglass were married Dec. 15, 1946. He died March 5, 1995.
She worked in sales at Montgomery Ward, as a receptionist at KFVS12, in accounting at Union Electric, and as a teller at People's Community Bank in Poplar Bluff.
She was a member of Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church, a volunteer at John J. Pershing VA Medical Center from 1995 until her death; a member of AmVets, where she coordinated troop correspondence; a member of American Legion; a volunteer with RSVP; and a member of the Red Hat Society.
Survivors include a daughter, Linda Goldschmidt of Fisk, Mo.; a son, Garnett Douglass of Memphis, Tenn.; a sister, Greatle Parrott of Alton; a friend, Harold Robbins of Poplar Bluff; nine grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by two sons and a granddaughter.
Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday at Cotrell Funeral Chapel in Poplar Bluff.
The funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the chapel, with the Rev. Dennis Fowler officiating. Burial will be in Hickory Grove Cemetery in Alton.