- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)17
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Cpl. Jeremy Shank
Cpl. Jeremy R. Shank, 18, of Jackson passed away Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2006, while serving his country in Iraq.
Shank was born Feb. 29, 1988, in Cape Girardeau, to James A. and Deborah J. Vaughn Shank.
He attended Jackson High School. He enlisted in the United States Army May 31, 2005, and graduated from Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training at Fort Benning, Ga., as an infantryman. He was initially assigned to 1-21 Infantry Jan. 30, 2006, before transferring to A Company, 2-27 March 26, 2006, where he served as a mortar man. He arrived with his platoon to Forward Operating Base McHenry Aug. 23, 2006.
His awards and decorations include the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Operation Iraqi Freedom Expeditionary Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Purple Heart, Bronze Star Medal, Expert Marksmanship Badge and Combat Infantryman Badge.
Shank was an avid hunter, a member of the National Turkey Federation, and was anticipating a trip home during deer season this November.
Loving survivors include his parents, James A. and Deborah J. (Vaughn) Shank; two brothers, Christopher and Nathan Shank, all of Jackson; fiancee, Ashley Hahn of Millersville.
The surviving paternal family includes grandmother, Evelyn Shank of Belleville, Ill; and an aunt, Judi Shank of Belleville.
The surviving maternal family includes an uncle, Ronald Vaughn of San Diego, Calif.; four aunts, Kay (Joe) Carroll of Cape Girardeau, Karen (Tom) O'Carroll of Chandler, Ariz., Rosalee (Robert) Schultz of Lees Summit, Mo., and Mary Vaughn-Luhman of Gaithersburg, Md.
He was preceded in death by paternal grandfather, James Shank Jr.; maternal grandparents, Lt. Col. and Mrs. Paul B. Vaughn; and maternal aunt, Sharon Vaughn (Jackson).
Friends may call Saturday from 4 to 8 p.m. at McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson, and Sunday from 12:30 p.m. to service time at First Baptist Church in Jackson.
The funeral will be Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at the church, with the Rev. Carter Frey officiating. Interment will be in Russell Heights Cemetery with full military honors.
Memorials may be made to the family.
Sympathy messages may be sent to the family online at www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.