High school football: Week 3
Friday, September 15, 2006
Jackson (1-1) at Vianney (1-1)
Last week: Parkway North 29, Jackson 25; Vianney 21, Riverview Gardens 20
* Last year's meeting: Vianney 35, Jackson 14
* Notes: Jackson is coming off a disappointing loss at Parkway North, where the Indians allowed a late fourth-quarter drive that proved to be the game-winning score. Vianney, on the other hand, used a 35-yard pass from Ted Grimes to Jeff Schoor on the final play of the game to pick up its first win last week. Vianney, which was 9-1 last year and ripped up the Indians behind current Southeast Missouri State backup quarterback Steve Callanan, was shut out in its opener against Oakville and allowed 363 yards of offense in last week's win. Jackson's defense on Friday was torched for 206 yards in the air.
Central (0-2) at Blytheville, Ark. (2-0)
* Last week: New Madrid County 32, Central 30; Blytheville 42, Poplar Bluff 24
* Last year's meeting: Blytheville 32, Central 0
* Notes: Central was blistered on the ground for a second straight week in a home loss to New Madrid County Central, and it will face another talented runner when it travels to Blytheville, Ark. Melvin Brooks rushed for 295 yards and five scores in Blytheville's road win against Poplar Bluff last week. Central has allowed more than 300 yards a game on the ground through two games. Senior running back Hykeem Hammonds led Central with 112 yards rushing and two touchdowns in the loss to the Eagles.
Scott City (1-1) at East Prairie (0-2)
* Last week: Scott City 36, Portageville 6; Corning 35, East Prairie 13
* Last year's meeting: East Prairie 35, Scott City 15
* Notes: Scott City bounced back against SEMO South foe Portageville last week with a balanced offensive attack. Junior quarterback Ethan Watkins threw a pair of long touchdowns to Blake Dirnberger, while Cody Carlyle rushed for 90 yards and Chris Blankenship added 48 yards on the ground and two touchdowns. East Prairie has been outscored 77-20 through two games.
Chaffee (1-1) at Crystal City (2-0)
* Last week: Liberty Mountain View 27, Chaffee 7; Crystal City 54, Orchard Farm 38
* Last year's meeting: Crystal City 48, Chaffee 21
* Notes: Chaffee was plagued last week by seven turnovers, three that ended drives in the red zone. The Red Devils the week before had traveled to Jefferson County and snapped a 34-game losing streak. Crystal City is coming off a barn burner last week in which Michael Schembre and Danny James score three times apiece. James and Demetrius Terry each rushed for more than 200 yards, while Schembre caught two touchdown passes of more than 30 yards and returned an interception 80 yards to cap the scoring. Crystal City is currently ranked No. 5 in the state's Class 2 poll, and has scored 94 points in two games.
St. Vincent (0-2) at Valle (1-1)
* Last week: Park Hills 38, St. Vincent 3; Ste. Genevieve 35, Valle 13
* Last year's meeting: Valle 26, St. Vincent 0
* Notes: St. Vincent and Valle renew their MAFC Blue Division rivalry in a game that does not have district title implications for once. Valle routed St. Vincent 26-0 last year to win the district championship after St. Vincent had beaten Valle en route to the Class 1 state title the previous year. Both teams are coming off lopsided losses. The Indians have managed just 13 points through two games.
Ste. Genevieve (1-1) at Perryville (2-0)
* Last week: Perryville 24, De Soto 6; Ste. Genevieve 35, Valle 13
* Last year's meeting: Ste. Genevieve 36, Perryville 13
* Notes: The Pirates are 2-0 following a winless season last year. Kris Cottner has rushed for more than 160 yards per game this season and has three touchdowns. Pirates quarterback Ryan Schilling also has three touchdowns rushing this season. The Dragons got three scores from Chad Greminger in a victory against city rival Valle last week. Greminger rushed for 116 yards on 22 carries, and fullback Nick Hermann added 116 yards on 21 carries and two TDs.
-- Jeremy Joffray