- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
Motorcycle air bags part of safety trend
MARYSVILLE, Ohio -- Statistics show motorcyclist injuries and deaths are increasing, spurring makers to install more safety features -- making greater use of antilock brakes and adding air bags while stressing safe-rider education and use of helmets.
Motorcycles accounted for 2 percent of all registered vehicles in 2004 but made up 9.4 percent of all highway deaths, government statistics show.
Honda Motor Co. added air bags in June to its fully loaded Gold Wing, an 860-pound touring bike designed for distance driving in comfort. Yamaha Motor Corp. is developing an air bag system, according to the company's Web site.
Honda's system is designed to keep the driver's body from hitting whatever the motorcycle hit and reduce the chances of the driver being thrown over the handlebars. It is not designed to protect from side or rear impacts or to protect passengers.
Tim Buche, president of the Motorcycle Industry Council, said many motorcyclists love new features and will be attracted to air bags.
But he said the market will determine whether the idea will spread.
"If air bags are going to be successful, they are going to be available on other motorcycles," he said. "It remains to be seen."
On the Net:
Motorcycle Industry Council: http://www.mic.org/