- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Police: Woman beat another woman with a bat over a pair of shoes (8/21/16)2
Giving the united way
Once again, United Way of Southeast Missouri has set an ambitious fund-raising goal for 2006: $1.12 million. Last year, the organization raised $1.14 million, which was $95,000 more than its goal. Exceeding the goal has been the record of United Way in recent years, and 2006 is likely to continue that pattern.
The 2006 campaign goal was announced several days ago with an enthusiastic kickoff. This year's campaign team is led by chairwoman Jean Mason of AmerenUE. Under her leadership, dozens of volunteers will be encouraging potential donors to give what they can to support programs to help people in crisis, provide services to seniors, promote health and self-sufficiency and build strong families and successful children.
That's quite an effort. Mason indicated her strong belief in United Way's impact on the communities it serves during her brief remarks at the campaign kickoff luncheon.
United Way's shift to an "agenda for change" will have an impact on how this year's funding is used. United Way supports 25 programs and agencies that provide services throughout the area, and a portion of the campaign funds will be designed for specific programs related to the target areas of community-building and resources for better lives.
Several companies have already completed their employee fund drives for United Way and have added their own contributions. If you are thinking about making a donation this year, now is the time to make a commitment. Your support will be appreciated by the hundreds of individuals who lives are changed for the better.