- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Scrimmages will give area fans first dose of gridiron
It may be little more than a dress rehearsal, but a mix of scrimmages across the area should give area high school football fans a quick fix with the regular season just two weeks away.
Jackson, Scott City, Chaffee and Perryville will all participate in intrasquad scrimmages tonight.
Jackson is asking fans to bring bottles of Gatorade to their scrimmage, which will begin at 6 p.m. Players will hit the field at about 5:15. Jackson's varsity will be on the field for 45 plays, while the sophomores will square off against the freshmen for 35 plays.
"This one's obviously more controlled, but there will be people in the stands which will make it different," Jackson coach Carl Gross said. "Next week when we play someone else [at a jamboree], I'm interested to see how they respond."
Chaffee will celebrate its fall sports teams with a fall sports introduction at 6 p.m. at the high school, followed by a football scrimmage at about 6:30. The Red Devils are in their second year under Missouri Football Coaches Hall of Fame coach Charlie Vickery.
Just down the road, Scott City fans will get to meet the Rams, as Scott City's fall sports teams are introduced at 6:30 p.m. at the high school. The football team will participate in a short scrimmage following the event -- about 7:15.
The Perryville football includes the school's first Alumni Recognition Game, scheduled to start at 7 p.m. Current players will take the field immediately following the alumni for the annual Green and White scrimmage.