- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)14
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)5
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)8
- Juvenile accused of stealing, damaging playground statue (1/9/17)25
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Business notebook: Faithfully Fed aims for more than just food (1/9/17)4
It's time to stop the failed leaders
To the editor:
World politics has arrived at the absurd. Iran has decided to sponsor a cartoon contest in which submitters may dis the Holocaust. I'm not surprised, really, as leaders of various countries around the world have shown their immaturity of late.
President Bush is definitely included in this group. Remember "Bring it on!"? Iran's president is a mental case. Israel's prime minister thought he could wipe out Hezbollah in a few hours. Hezbollah's leader advocates killing all those who disagree with his way of thinking. And the leaders of some African countries would sacrifice all of their constituents in order to stay in power.
Where are the Reagans, the Sadats, the Begins, the Mandellas, the Carters?
I am tired of the posturing, the sacrificing of our young, the pointless waste of lives, in the name of ... what?
Kofi Annan is a joke at the head of a laughable organization. We tolerate the Amins, the Putins, the Ahmadinejads and so many others who prey upon their own citizens and others in order to advance their agenda.
Our problems don't stem from the citizenry. They stem from the leadership. We and other peoples across the globe have stupidly elected cowboys who have one thought in mind: to make a name and establish a positive page in history for themselves.
I think it is time for us, the people who must make this world work to take control, to do away with those who would forward the notion of supremacy by elimination.
JOHN JUSITS, Cape Girardeau