- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)20
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Area sports digest 8/8/06
Sanders wins ladies title at Kimbeland
Margaret Sanders defeated Vicki Long in a playoff Sunday to win the Kimbeland Country Club Ladies Golf Championship.
Sanders holed a putt from about 18 feet for a birdie on the third sudden death playoff hole.
Sanders and Long both finished with 36-hole totals of 16-over-par 156. Sanders had rounds of 80 and 76, while Long had rounds of 77 and 79.
Lillian Schneider placed third in the championship flight with 157, while Barb Johnson was fourth with 158.
Sharon McCune won "A" flight with 164, followed by Dorothy Holland (169), Susan Vickery (180) and Jan Shultz (182).
Carol Weinrich captured "B" flight with 176, followed by Sheila Hager (181), Sue Zoll (186) and Joann Williams (192).
Gloria Utley prevailed in "C" flight with 191. She was followed by Linda Hoffman (206), Ronnie Kirk (212) and Karen Sanders (214).
Smith on winning team in tourney for Redhawks
Southeast Missouri State women's basketball coach B.J. Smith helped bring home the title in the championship flight in his own SEMO Women's Basketball Golf Tournament on Monday at Dalhousie Golf Club.
Smith, Cord Dombrowski, Mark McDowell and Ken Swinford shot a 55 to win the championship flight. The team of Bryan Johnson, Steve Byrd, Jim Byrd and Jack Pettet finished second, followed by the team of Tom Brummitt, Ben Brummitt, Larry Hillis and Matt Hillis. All three teams shot 55.
Mike Kohlfeld, Bob Neff, Lyle Davis and Rob Janet won "A" flight with a 59. Mike Brawley, Craig Horky, Kevin Hill and Nancy won "B" flight with a 63.
In "C" flight, the team of Darren Heuring, Jason Karnes, Matt Vollink and Danny Strohmeyer shot 67 to finish first. Ann Dombrowski, Brenda VanderBrook, Mary Jane Eftink and Sis Erlbacher shot 73 to win "D" flight.
Leslie Steele and Chris Curtis won longest drive on No. 16; Tom Breuer and John Wondel were closest to the pin on No. 13; and Kurt Schulz won the longest putt on No. 18.
-- From staff reports