- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
MARQUAND, Mo. -- William Samuel "Bill Sam" Whitener, 77, of Marquand died Sunday, Aug. 6, 2006, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Jan. 5, 1929, in Marquand, fifth and last child of William Elijah and Nancy Schell Whitener. Bill and Lela Faye Easley were married Jan. 22, 1949, at Patton, Mo.
Bill was a farmer in Bollinger County all his life. He was a lifelong member of Liberty Congregational Methodist Church, where he served as a trustee and deacon many years. He served on the board of Calvary Hilltop Camp many years. Bill loved the Lord, his family, and his friends. He also loved to hunt and fish and spend time with family and friends.
Survivors include his wife, Faye; a daughter, Sandy (Bruce) Hampton of North Pole, Alaska; four grandchildren, Emily Smallwood of Ukiah, Calif., William Yount of Houma, La., Elisabeth (Tom) Hayer of Fairbanks, Alaska, Stephanie Hampton of North Pole; three great-grandchildren, Samantha, Abigail and William Smallwood; three sisters, Katherine Slinkard of Marquand, Dorothy Lacy of Fredericktown, Mo., Doris (John) O'Bannon of Stevensville, Mont.; in-laws, Wilma Whitener of Patton, Mo., Peggy (Jim) Shrum of Marquand, Virginia (Walter Jr.) Long of Fenton, Mo.; nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Wendell "Jack" Whitener; brothers-in-law, Milford Slinkard and George Lacy; and in-laws, George and Florence Easley.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Liley Funeral Home in Patton, and from 10 a.m. until service time Wednesday at Liberty Congregational Methodist Church, off Highway A near Marquand.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the church, with the Revs. Jimmie Corbin, Kirby Grindstaff and Jamie Hovis officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery.
Pallbearers will be William Yount, Justin Conrad, Chris Conrad, Craig Yount, Steve Jordan and Rick McMillan.
In lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate contributions to the Memorial Fund of Liberty Congregational Methodist Church.