- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Gene Allan Burton, 50, of Cape Girardeau died Tuesday, Aug. 1, 2006, at Southeast Missouri Hospital.
He was born Jan. 16, 1956, in Cape Girardeau, son of Gene and Bernice Amelia Urhahn Burton. He and Grace Michele Leach were married April 23, 1977, in Cape Girardeau.
Mr. Burton was a 1974 Central High School graduate. He was a machinist for Auto Tire, & Parts 17 years in the Cape Girardeau and Sikeston stores, and a machinist for Sappington Auto Parts in Jackson. He also worked for Minor's Harley-Davidson eight years and was at Procter & Gamble as a security guard. In addition, he worked at Ole Hickory Pits in Cape Girardeau, Kelley Transportation as a driver, and served on the Cape Girardeau Police Reserves.
He was a member of St. Mary Cathedral, Knights of Columbus Council 1111, Eagles Aerie 3775, Elks Lodge 639 and Moose Lodge in Anna, Ill.
He is survived by his wife of Cape Girardeau; father and stepmother, Gene and Emma Burton of Scott City; a son, Jason M. Burton of Cape Girardeau; a daughter, Dawn (Chris) Hager of Cape Girardeau; a brother, Ricky Charles (Susan) Burton of Pocahontas; a stepbrother, Roy (Nancy) McFall of Corona, Calif.; two stepsisters, Jan (Mike) Elfrink of Cape Girardeau, Peggy (Rick) McMullin of Jackson; father-in-law, Irvin Joseph (Sandy) Leach of St. Clair, Mo.; a brother-in-law, Robert (Doris) Leach of St. Clair; a sister-in-law, Kathy (Stan) Wiemann of Phoenix, Ariz.; three grandchildren, Austin T. Burton, Justice R. Burton and Makenziee B. Burton, all of Cape Girardeau.
He was preceded in death by his mother.
Friends may call at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home Friday from 4 to 8 p.m. There will be an Eagles Service at 6:30, and Knights of Columbus rosary will be recited at 7.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Patrick Nwokoye officiating. Burial will be in Fairmount Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to American Diabetes Association or Kidney Foundation.