- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Giants catcher Matheny, a former Cardinals player, finished for season due to concussion
SAN FRANCISCO -- Catcher Mike Matheny has made little progress in his recovery from a concussion and will not play again this season for San Francisco.
After another series of tests and appointments with specialists at the University of Pittsburgh last week, Matheny and the Giants' medical staff made the difficult decision that he should spend the rest of 2006 recovering to reduce the risk of further damage to his brain.
"It's real, and I understand that, and I also understand it's out of my hands," said Matheny, who made the announcement Wednesday after the Giants' 8-6 victory over the Washington Nationals. "I'm at peace with that. ... It's such a weird phenomenon: I look at myself right now and I look as normal as I ever have."
The 35-year-old Matheny, who is on the 60-day disabled list, has been sidelined since May 31 and is still experiencing "fogginess," memory loss, dizzy spells and headaches. He has walked into a room, for example, and not remembered why he did.
A four-time Gold Glove winner -- including last season in his first year with the Giants -- Matheny was hit in the head several times by foul balls during a three-game series at Florida, then left a game against the New York Mets in the third inning after getting hit by a foul tip -- the last one square on his chin.
When his symptoms failed to improve in a timely manner, the Giants sent him home to suburban St. Louis to rest -- and that's where Matheny is headed next, unsure of his future in baseball. He is signed with San Francisco through the 2007 season.
-- The Associated Press