Fire destroys Jackson business

Thursday, July 27, 2006

A fire destroyed a section of a 23-year-old family-owned business in Jackson early Thursday morning.

The shop at the rear of Busey Truck Equipment Company, Inc., 1840 S. Farmington Road, went up in flames at approximately 7:30 a.m.

According to Jackson firefighter Steve Baugh, the fire was unintentional and started while an employee was welding a piece of machinery.

Baugh said sparks from the welding torch ignited a flammable liquid.

Two employees received minor injuries and were taken to a local hospital. Jacob Beine, 25, and Lucas Beine, 27, both received third degree burns on their legs, said their mother, DeeAnn Beine.

Check out Friday's Southeast Missourian for more details.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: