- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Jumbo size: Rhodes 101 sets a world record with 15-foot, 4,700 gallon drinking cup (8/21/17)3
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Unions deliver signatures to block right-to-work in Missouri (8/20/17)40
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
Kids in streets are safety concern
To the editor:
I have recently noticed younger children in the streets of south Cape Girardeau. I have also failed to notice street signs that read "Caution: Children at play." I also fail to notice policing in this area.
I am a cautious driver. However, not everyone is a cautious driver. These children are unsupervised. Some are supervised by siblings not much older than they are.
Some of these children barely clear the bumper of my car. There are times I see or hear cars driving fast through these neighborhoods. This is not a good mixture.
There needs to be more caution signs posted as well as more patrols. There also needs to be more action taken toward the parents or guardians of these neglected children in form of fines, penalties and education.
MARTIN WERNER, Cape Girardeau