Bearden, Fluchel attend conference
Holly Bearden and Jerie Fluchel, both of Jackson, recently attended the Modern Woodmen of America Merit Club Leadership Conference in Orlando, Fla. They were among 450 youth service club leaders invited to the conference.
Marcus Stephens graduated from Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., in June with a master of fine arts degree in set and lighting design. His parents are Terry and Donna Irwin of Gordonville and Roger and Barbara Stephens of Jackson.
* Julie Burnette of Cape Girardeau has been awarded an Academic Recognition Award and Missouri Assessment Program Scholarship to attend Southeast Missouri State University. A graduate of Jackson High School, Burnett is the daughter of Clarence and Barbara Burnette of Cape Girardeau.
* Robin Phelps, a 2006 graduate of Notre Dame Regional High School, has been awarded the Leadership Award and the Gold Level Diversity Scholarship to attend Murray State University in Kentucky. She is the daughter of David and Janice Phelps of Cape Girardeau.
* Kara Crawford, a graduate of Cape Girardeau Central High School, was named to the fall 2005 and spring semester 2006 dean's list and has been awarded a Recognition Scholarship at Murray State University. She is the daughter of Greg and Debi Crawford of Cape Girardeau.
* Meredith Toole of Cape Girardeau has been named to the spring semester dean's list at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn.
* Heather Birk of Jackson and Brent Essner of Kelso, Mo., were named to the 2006 spring semester dean's list at Maryville University in St. Louis.
The following students attended Boys State in Warrensburg, Mo., last month as listed by school.
Cape Girardeau Central High School -- Zachary Bowles, son of Karen and Mark Bowles; Matthew Hileman, son of Douglas and Elizabeth Hileman; Alex Kies, son of Richard and Becky Kies; Nathaniel Kinsey, son of Wes and Ann Kinsey; Tyler Yeargain, son of Larry and Vicki Yeargain; Jacob Brazil, son of Steve and Candi Brazil; Eric Ennis, son of Rick and Susan Ennis; Andrew Billmeyer, son of Craig and Mary Billmeyer; Gregory Sprengel, son of Archie and Ann Sprengel; Asad Malik, son of Shafiq and Farida Malik. Notre Dame Regional High School -- Geon Gyu Min, hosted by Mark and Debbie Kiblinger of Cape Girardeau; Brett Heischmidt, son of Ken and Cindy Heischmidt of Cape Girardeau; Austin Gelsheimer, son of David and Tara Gelsheimer of Sikeston, Mo. Delta High School -- A.J. Horn, son of Tom and Diana Horn of Whitewater. Saxony Lutheran High School -- Drew Hillis, son of Scott and Eva Hillis of Jackson; Michael Lowther, son of Rodney and Brenda Lowther of Cape Girardeau.
-- From staff reports