- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Cape loses in final but makes regional
An opening-round, heartbreaking loss to Mineral Area did not deter Cape Girardeau's Senior Babe Ruth team from clawing its way all the way to the championship of the state tournament Sunday in Charles-ton, Mo.
Cape beat Boonville 5-4 and Central Missouri 10-8 on Sunday to earn a spot in the championship game against Mineral Area. The revenge bid came up short. Cape lost 13-3, but since Mineral Area is the regional host and has an automatic bid, Cape earned a right to go to the regional tournament just by making the championship game.
The regional tournament will begin Friday at North County High School in Bonne Terre, Mo.
Adam Thomas pitched a complete game in the 5-4 win over Boonville. Thomas struck out two and allowed six hits. Abe Dirnberger and Tyler Bruce had two hits apiece for Cape.
Bruce pitched 6 2/3 innings to help Cape beat Central Missouri and advance to the championship game. Anthony Wulfers got the final out for the save.
Dirnberger led Cape with three hits, and Jacob Wengert, Nathan Kolda and Brett Heischmidt had two hits apiece.
Blake Gladdis had two hits in the championship loss.
Cape coach Alan Wengert said he was proud of his team's performance.
"The way they came back in the losers bracket, no doubt about it," he said. "In the process of that we eliminated four teams."