- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
Duke hires player's dad to coach team
DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke University has hired John Danowski from Hofstra to coach its embattled men's lacrosse team, the new coach said Friday.
"It's a very exciting time," Danowski told The Associated Press. "Duke University is one of the top schools in the country by any measure."
Danowski, whose son Matt is a Duke senior and All-America attackman for the Blue Devils, will replace Mike Pressler, who resigned soon after a woman told police she was raped by three men at a March team party where she was hired to perform as a stripper.
A grand jury has indicted three lacrosse players -- Reade Seligmann, 20, of Essex Fells, N.J.; Collin Finnerty, 19, of Garden City, N.Y.; and David Evans, 23, of Bethesda, Md. -- on charges of rape, kidnapping and sexual offense. Defense attorneys strongly have proclaimed the players' innocence..
In 21 seasons at Hofstra, Danowski compiled a record of 192-123, taking the Pride to the NCAA tournament in seven of the past 11 seasons. In his 24-year career, Danowski has a record of 219-139.