DALLAS -- Dallas Cowboys safety Keith Davis was shot twice while driving on a Dallas highway early Sunday and was hospitalized in stable condition after undergoing surgery to remove bullet fragments.
His agent, Curtis Stephens, said the injuries were minor and that Davis expected to be released soon from the hospital.
"He's going to fully recover and he's in good spirits," Stephens said. "Everything is being done on a precautionary basis. Two physicians both gave him a thumbs up. ... If camp opened tomorrow, he'd like to think he'd be there tomorrow."
Players are expected to report for camp a week from Thursday in Oxnard, Calif.
The 27-year-old Davis is among the Cowboys' top special teams players and the incumbent starting safety opposite Roy Williams. Earlier this summer, Dallas gave him a roughly $3 million, two-year contract that includes about $2 million in bonus and salary this season; the deal came after New Orleans signed Davis to an offer sheet.
Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said the team had no comment.
This is the second time in three years that Davis has been shot. He was an innocent bystander last time, and this time Stephens said the player was driving home from a family vacation.
In June 2003, Davis was shot in the hip and elbow while picking up a friend at a topless club. Coach Bill Parcells released Davis about a month later. Davis didn't play football that season, but rejoined the club in 2004 and became a full-time starter last season.
In Sunday's shooting, Dallas police Sr. Cpl. Jamie Matthews said a dark blue two-door car pulled up next to Davis' vehicle and opened fire.
"He was able to pull over, and his front passenger then moved into the driver's seat and then drove him to a nearby hospital," Matthews said.
Matthews said police were investigating motives and suspects.