- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Cape Girardeau drops two in Mayfield, Ky.
The struggles for Cape Girardeau's American Legion team continued Tuesday, when Ford & Sons was swept in a doubleheader at Mayfield, Ky.
Cape had lost eight in a row before splitting a doubleheader with Jackson on July 5.
Since then, Ford & Sons has lost four straight, including losses of 13-4 and 8-7 on Tuesday.
In the opener, eight errors contributed to eight unearned runs. Adam McMahan took the loss, pitching all six innings.
Lance Young, Blake Slattery and Dane Balsmann had two hits apiece, and Balsmann added two RBIs.
Mayfield scored six runs in the fourth inning and one in the fifth of game two to take a 7-2 lead. Cape tied the score with five runs in the top of the sixth, but Mayfield added a run in the bottom of the sixth for the game-winner.
Zach Plott pitched the sixth and took the loss. Young went five innings, striking out 10 and walking eight.
Ty Craft, Balsmann and Young had two hits apiece. Justin Myers had four RBIs.
-- Southeast Missourian