- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Area sports digest 7/12/06
Singleton, Gilmore add to Kimbeland aces
Joe Singleton and Ron Gilmore each had a hole in one last week at Kimbeland Country Club in Jackson, bringing the number of aces for last week to four.
Singleton aced the 150-yard, par-3 sixth hole on July 4.
Gilmore had his hole in one July 7 on the 150-yard, par-3 12th hole.
That same day, Gary Niswonger and Jim Kellett each had a hole in one while playing in the same foursome. Niswonger aced No. 4, and Kellett aced No. 6.
Special Olympics softball set for Saturday
The ninth annual Special Olympics Softball District Tournament is scheduled for Saturday at the Shawnee Park Sports Complex in Cape Girardeau.
The tournament, sponsored by the Southeast Area Special Olympics, the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department and KZIM-960, will include 15 teams from Cape Girardeau, St. Louis, Columbia and other areas.
The opening ceremonies are planned for 3 p.m., with competition to begin at 4 p.m. The event will conclude around 10 p.m.
The rain date is Sunday.
Qualifying teams can advance to the State Outdoor Classic Softball Tournament, Aug. 4 through 6 in Jefferson City, Mo.
Anyone interested in tournament information or serving as a volunteer can call the Southeast Area Special Olympics Office, 334-2859.
Cook, Williams team up for horseshoes win
Lachelle Cook and Danny Williams formed the winning combination Sunday in the Southeast Missouri Horseshoe Association tournament at Backyard Horseshoe Club in Glenallen, Mo.
Cook and Williams topped a field of 19 teams.
Finishing second were Cori Stoverink and Virgil Schreckenberg. The team of Richard Eeftink and Brian Eeftink placed third.
The circuit next plays at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Oran Knights of Columbus.
Perryville plans alumni football tilt on Aug. 18
Perryville High School will host an alumni game Aug. 18.
The Alumni Recognition Game will begin at 7 p.m., and will be followed by the annual Green and White scrimmage game between current Pirates players.
-- From staff reports