- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
RANDLES, Mo. -- Ida Arzella Newell, 78, of Pekin, Ill., died Wednesday, June 14, 2006, at an assisted living center in McComb, Miss.
She was born July 23, 1927, in Summerland, Ark., daughter of Lee Alfred and Sylvia Noe Phillips. She and Berlin C. Newell were married Feb. 27, 1947, at Morley, Mo. He died May 8, 1999.
Her parents moved to Randles, where she attended school.
She was a member of Liberty Baptist Church in Pekin.
Survivors include sons Gary Newell of New Mexico and James Newell of Louisiana; two brothers, Verlon Phillips of Murphysboro, Ill., Vernon Phillips of Morley; a sister, Retta Luttrell of Memphis, Tenn.; and four grandchildren.
Surviving at the time of her death was a son, Dewayne Newell of Vienna, Va., who died June 29, 2006.
She was preceded in death by a grandson.
The funeral was held June 19 at Liberty Baptist Church. Burial was in Glendale Memorial Gardens in Pekin.
Preston-Hanley Funeral Home in Pekin was in charge of arrangements.
Announcement courtesy of Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Chaffee, Mo.