- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
Flags are tribute to those who served
To the editor:
As I sat in a patriotic worship service July 2, I praised God that he has given my family the privilege of living in America, the greatest land on Earth. At sunrise on July 4, I watched as 30-plus men, women and youths gathered at the county park to display American flags in memory and honor of those who have served in the military to protect our great country. You could sense the respect, dignity and pride as they handled each flag.
My mind went back to my dad, who served in World War I, four brothers who served in World War II, two brothers who served in Korea and Vietnam and a brother-in law and nephew killed in combat. The freedom we enjoy daily has been paid for with great sacrifice. The scene was breathtaking as the flags flew over the hillside.
My prayer is that God will continue to send our protection over our airwaves and shorelines in keeping our land safe and that he will shield all those serving in our military today to protect us.
Thanks to the VFW, which wants to display our flags, and to all those who assisted in putting up the flags. As for me and my family, we will fly our flag with respect and stand up for all she represents.
RETHA McMANUS, Delta, Mo.