Learning briefs 7/11/06
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
* Neil Randol, son of Narvol and Amy Randol, graduated with honors from the University of Missouri-Rolla this spring with a major in mechanical engineering. He graduated with a perfect 4.0 grade point average.
* Caroline LaCroix Giles of Cape Girardeau recently graduated from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry. She is the daughter of Tom and Mary Giles of Cape Girar -deau.
* Natalie Ray, daughter of Julie and Dennis Ray of Jackson, graduated with a master's degree in social work from Washington University this spring.
* Crystal Jones, daughter of Vanita and Tom Jones of Jackson, graduated with a master's degree in social work from Washington University this spring.
* Jarett Seiler of Benton, Mo., graduated this spring with a degree in veterinarian medicine from the University of Missouri-Columbia. He is the son of Bill and Karen Seiler of Benton.
Catholic school honored
Immaculate Conception School in Jackson was commended by the Springfield-Cape Girardeau diocesan assessment team for its commitment to communication arts, extensive volunteer program, quality pre-school program, Catholic identity of the school, development of the whole child through school enrichment programs such as speech club, science club, math programs, scrapbook activities and physical conditioning.
Allen named to dean's list
* David Allen Jr., son of the Rev. David and Geneva Allen of Cape Girardeau, was named to the spring 2006 Dean's List at the University of Missouri-Columbia.
CTC students win awards
Cape Girardeau Career and Technology Center students won awards in the SkillsUSA Championships in television and video production at a national conference in Kansas City in June.
CTC students Darren Wehmeyer of McClure, Ill., and Ricky Scaggs of Jackson took gold in video production development in the post-secondary division. Andrew Kenner and Trey Baird, both of Jackson, took silver in the post-secondary division for creation of a one-minute VHS video. Mason Loy of Cape Girardeau and Lance Benson of Scott City took bronze in the secondary division.
Local students receive scholarships
* Robin Phelps, a graduate of Notre Dame Regional High School, received a college scholarship from the Cape Girardeau Evening Lions Club. She plans to attend Murray State University in Kentucky.
* Emily Lewis of Jackson has been awarded a Curator's Scholarship to the University of Missouri-Columbia. She is the daughter of Howard and Ellen Lewis of Jackson.
* Sarah Unterreiner of Cape Girardeau has received the Kappa Delta Pi Scholarship at the University of Missouri-Columbia. She is the daughter of Wayne and Jane Unterreiner.
* David Thiele of Leopold, Mo., has received a Caterpillar/Fabick CAT Scholarship at Linn State Technical College in Linn, Mo.
* Nichole Holzum of Jackson has been awarded a Missouri Leadership Award to attend Southeast Missouri State University for the 2006-2007 academic year. She is the daughter of Diane Holzum of Jackson.
* Russ Bollinger of Cape Girardeau has been awarded a Missouri Assessment Program Scholarship to attend Southeast Missouri State University for the 2006-2007 academic year. He is the son of Linda Bollinger of Cape Girardeau and Tim Bollinger of Millersville.
* Matthew Petzoldt of Cape Girardeau has been awarded a Regents' Scholarship to attend Southeast Missouri State University for the 2006-2007 academic year.
with mug of Martin
* Alisha Peats of Jackson and Christopher Martin of Cape Girardeau have been awarded President's scholarships to attend Southeast Missouri State University. Peats is the daughter of Raymond Peats of Jackson. Martin is the son of Chuck and Jean Martin of Cape Girardeau.
* Amy Taylor of Scott City has been awarded a Community College Scholarship and a Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship to attend Southeast Missouri State University. A 2006 graduate of Shawnee Community College, she is the daughter of Robert and Salle Taylor of Scott City.
* Christopher Messmer of Jackson has been awarded a General Education Degree Scholarship to attend Southeast Missouri State University. He is the son of Cabrina and Tracy Messmer of Jackson.
with mug of davis
* Madison Lowrance of Cape Girardeau and Paul Davis of Oran, Mo., have been awarded President's Plus scholarships to attend Southeast Missouri State University. Davis also received the Boys State Leadership Award. Lowrance is the daughter of Gail Lowrance of Cape Girardeau. Davis is the son of Rodney and Debbie Davis of Oran.