- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Community briefs 7/3/06
Glenn House open for tours Tuesday
The Glenn House will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday. This historic building is at 325 R S. Spanish St., Cape Girardeau. Call 334-1177 for more information.
Ludwig family holds reunion near Fruitland
A catered, noon meal is scheduled for Saturday at St. John's United Church, west of Fruitland. For more information, call 243-5522 or 335-6878.
Clingingsmith-Craft reunion held at Jackson
The annual Clingingsmith-Craft reunion will begin with a basket dinner at noon Sunday at the Knights of Columbus Hall, lower level, in Jackson.
Author to give program at Cape public library
Author David Stewart will present a free program on holy oils from 1 to 3:30 p.m. July 15 at Cape Girardeau Public Library, 711 N. Clark Ave. Those planning to attend should bring their Bibles. To reserve a seat, call Betty at (573) 883-9065, Vennie at (573) 547-4410, Tammy at 332-0657 or Linda at (573) 547-8940.
Texas Two Step indoor barn dance at VFW
An indoor barn dance called the Texas Two Step is set for 6:30 p.m. July 22 at the VFW Post in Cape Girardeau. Proceeds will benefit the Humane Society of Southeast Missouri. Star Music and Karaoke service will provide the music; a two-bit poker game, dessert auction, name that tune and raffles will be set up. Meal includes smoked and barbecue pork and turkey, baked beans, slaw, seasoned potatoes, corn on the cob, peach cobbler and Texas chocolate cake. Tickets can be purchased at Lang Jewelers, 126 N. Main St.; Century 21, 2441 Myra Drive; and the Humane Society, 2536 Boutin Drive. A $1,000 gift certificate from Lang Jewelers, the event sponsor, will be raffled.
Freidheim fun fest held in honor of Josh Oehl
The seventh annual Freidheim fun fest, held across from Trinity Lutheran Church, will be a fund-raiser for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in honor of the late Josh Oehl, a cancer treatment recipient at St. Jude who lived in Freidheim. He was the son of Ronnie and Kandy Oehl. Events kick off at 10 a.m. Saturday with a trail ride in Freidheim. At 6 p.m. there will be a potluck supper. Bring a dish and drinks. Silverware and plates are provided. The Caney Fork Boys will play country music at 6 p.m. Bring a lawn chair. All proceeds will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Donations will be matched by Thrivent.
New Hamburg picnic to feature dinner, music
Something for everyone is promised at New Hamburg's weekend event from 5 to 11:30 p.m. July 14 and 3 to 11:30 p.m. July 15. Both nights will feature music and karaoke by Renegade Sound System. There will be food, games, beverages and a petting zoo. A smorgasbord dinner will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. July 15 at the St. Lawrence Parish Center. Menu includes fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, roast beef and gravy with all the trimmings. Children 5 and under eat free. A junior division (ages 6 to 12) talent contest begins at 3 p.m. July 15 followed by a 4 p.m senior division (ages 13 to 21). There is an entry fee. Call the Parish Office at (573) 545-3317 for entry forms. Deadline for entry is Friday.
-- From staff reports