- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- Mother, child reportedly hit by car in Cape Girardeau (6/18/18)
What will it take to end the wars?
To the editor
Soon we will be celebrating our nation's birth. Many lives were lost so that we could enjoy the freedoms that we have now. In the years that followed its birth our country went through many changes. We fought many other wars -- one to stop an economy based on servitude, two to stop aggression. And now one that no one knows the real reason for. What will it take to end the wars? And when will we get back the rights our forefathers founded this country on? What is it that the preamble says: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal and they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, and among these rights are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Not money, oil and power.
SAM LADWIG, Cape Girardeau