- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Former football players provide leadership training at middle school (9/24/17)
- Cape Girardeau native Jessica Johnston to compete as castaway on 'Survivor' season 35 (9/24/17)
- New businesses popping up all over Cape Girardeau (9/24/17)1
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Complaints are cheap; do something
To the editor
I would like to address the Speak Out caller who complained about McClure. McClure cleanup day was last Saturday. It is an annual event that has been held for a number of years and was originally organized by a few local families. A number of volunteers, including teenagers, gave up their Saturday for the cause. Was the caller there to help? Not available. How about making a donation to pay for the Dumpster? Cannot afford to.
How about volunteering to help a neighbor clean up their yard? Or take a trash bag, go for a walk and pick up trash as you go? Not physically able to. Compliment a neighbor on how nice their yard looks? Call the county health department to report trash that may be a health hazard? Confined to the house.
Call one of the volunteers, especially the teenagers, who worked last Saturday and thank them for their efforts? Do not know who the volunteers were. Call me and I will get you a list. Be part of the solution.
THERESA TAYLOR, McClure, Ill.