- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Complaints are cheap; do something
To the editor
I would like to address the Speak Out caller who complained about McClure. McClure cleanup day was last Saturday. It is an annual event that has been held for a number of years and was originally organized by a few local families. A number of volunteers, including teenagers, gave up their Saturday for the cause. Was the caller there to help? Not available. How about making a donation to pay for the Dumpster? Cannot afford to.
How about volunteering to help a neighbor clean up their yard? Or take a trash bag, go for a walk and pick up trash as you go? Not physically able to. Compliment a neighbor on how nice their yard looks? Call the county health department to report trash that may be a health hazard? Confined to the house.
Call one of the volunteers, especially the teenagers, who worked last Saturday and thank them for their efforts? Do not know who the volunteers were. Call me and I will get you a list. Be part of the solution.
THERESA TAYLOR, McClure, Ill.