- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)20
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Military news 6/26/06
Romano graduates from U.S. Army basic training
Army Pvt. Thomas W. Romano III has graduated from basic combat training at Fort Jackson, Columbia, S.C. Romano is the son of Tom Romano of Benton, Mo., and Rosalee White of Moss St., Chula Vista, Calif. In 2006, the soldier graduated from the Chula Vista Adult School.
Herkert enlists in the Missouri National Guard
Darren Herkert recently enlisted as a member of the Missouri Army National Guard's Headquarters Company, 1140th Engineer Battalion, in Cape Girardeau. Herkert, son of Harritle Herkert of Pontiac, Ill., and Les Herkert (deceased), graduated from Joliet High School in Joliet, Ill., in 1993. He holds an associate's degree in criminal justice from John A. Logan College in Carterville, Ill. Herkert lives in Carbondale, Ill., where he is employed by Anheuser Busch.
Essmyer commissioned as second lieutenant
Joseph K. Essmyer has graduated from Officer Candidate School at Fort Benning, Columbus, Ga., and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army. He will be assigned as an ordnance officer. He is the son of Dr. Joseph K. and Winnie P. Essmyer of County Road 389, Whitewater. Essmyer's wife, Jamie, is the daughter of Kevin Hale and Renee Hale of Puxico, Mo. He graduated from Central High School, Cape Girardeau, and earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Missouri, St. Louis.
-- From staff reports