- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
PERRYVILLE, Mo. -- Katherine R. Monterusso Schumer, 90, of Perryville died Thursday, June 22, 2006, at Perry County Nursing Home.
She was born Feb. 13, 1916, in St. Louis, daughter of Paul and Bridget E. Macken Schliemann. She and Anthony Monterusso were married Oct. 3, 1932. He died Oct. 5, 1975. She and Ivo Schumer were married Oct. 7, 1978. He died Feb. 20, 1997.
Schumer entered the dietitian program at St. Louis University at age 65. After graduating she became head of dietary at Perry County Memorial Hospital, retiring 18 years later.
She was a member of St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, Ladies Sodality, Daughters of Isabella, Perry County Democrat Women's Club, Hospital Auxiliary, Ladies of Charity, past president of Knights of Columbus Auxiliary, and was involved in ministry to senior adults and praise ministry.
Survivors include a son, Tony Monterusso of Fairview Heights, Ill.; three daughters, Katherine Drury and Nancy Klaus of Belleville, Ill., Patricia Klaus of St. Louis; 22 grandchildren; 40 great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandchild.
She was preceded in death by a daughter, three brothers, and two sisters.
Friends may call at Miller Family Funeral Home from 5 to 9 p.m. Sunday, and Monday from 6:30 to 9:50 a.m. Parish prayers with Ladies Sodality and Daughters of Isabella will be at 7 p.m. Sunday. The rosary will be recited at 9 a.m. Monday at the funeral home.
Funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Vincent de Paul Church, with the Rev. Kevin Fausz officiating. Burial will be in St. Rose of Lima Cemetery at Silver Lake.