- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Health briefs/calendar 6/22/06
Nursing League holds pain managing seminar
"Managing Pain: Standards and Treatment" is a seminar to be presented June 28 at Saint Francis Medical Center, Franciscan Conference Room A. The program is sponsored by the Missouri League for Nursing and will be presented by Curt Wood, one of 25 certified geriatric pharmacists in Missouri. The purpose of the workshop is to assist health care providers in defining and identifying pain, understanding the physiology of pain and understanding the standards of pain assessment and treatment. Strategies for effective pharmacological treatment of pain will be presented. To register and for information about contact hours, call 335-5355.
Independence Day 5K
Main Street Fitness Center and the city of Jackson Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor an Independence Day 5K on July 4 at Jackson City Park. The event will begin at 7:30 a.m. at shelter 3 near Parkview Street and Union Avenue, with a turnaround at the end of Oak Street. It will include a one-mile walk/run, a 3.1-mile walk and a 3.1 mile run. Child care will be available during the event. Registration includes a T-shirt and giveaway bag. Late registrants will receive T-shirts but not necessarily on the day of the race. To register, call 243-2211 or go on line to www.active.com.
"Ask Your Doctor," medical call-in show, 8 to 9 p.m., cable Channel 5. Dr. Ismeth Abbas will discuss "Adult Hospitalists." To phone in a question, call 334-3095.
Safe Sitter Class for children ages 11 to 13, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., with lunch provided. To register, call Saint Francis Education Center at 331-5107.
Depressive Bipolar Support Alliance, 7 to 9 p.m. in the Assisi Conference Room at Saint Francis Medical Center. For information, call 334-8619.
"What's New in Baby Care?" free program for grandparents, 6:30 to 8 p.m., Generations Center Southeast Missouri Hospital. To register, call 651-5825.
Diabetes Basic Skills Class, 5:30 to 9 p.m., Fitness Plus conference room. Physician referral required. For information, call 331-5897.
-- From staff reports