- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Health briefs/calendar 6/15/06
Wulfurs elected to office
Dr. Michael C. Wulfers of Cape Girardeau was elected vice president of the Missouri Academy of Family Physicians at its annual meeting in St. Louis June 2.
Founded in 1947 the academy is a not-for-profit professional medical society of more than 1,700 physicians, residents and medical students across the state. It is dedicated to optimizing the health of patients, families and communities through patient care advocacy, education and research. It is based in Jefferson City.
Independence Day 5K
Main Street Fitness Center and the city of Jackson Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor an Independence Day 5K on July 4 at Jackson City Park.
The event will begin at 7:30 a.m. at shelter 3 near Parkview Street and Union Avenue, with a turnaround at the end of Oak Street. It will include a one-mile walk/run, a 3.1-mile walk and a 3.1 mile run. Child care will be available during the event.
Registration includes a T-shirt and giveaway bag. Late registrants will receive T-shirts but not necessarily on the day of the race.
To register call 243-2211 or go on line at www.active.com.
Ask Your Doctor, medical call-in show on cable Channel 5, 8 to 9 p.m. Dr. Suha Alkadry will discuss the care of a well newborn. To phone in a question call 334-3095.
Carwash fund-raiser for multiple sclerosis, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Rhodes Gas Station on North Kingshighway.
Arthritis and Fibromyalgia support group, 1:30 to 4 p.m., Fitness Plus Conference Room. For information call 331-5880. June's topic will be on self-management.
Red Cross blood drive, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., University Center at Southeast Missouri State University.
Grief support group, 1 p.m. HealthPoint Plaza meeting room. The program is "Staying Healthy: Caring for Your Physical Health." For information, call 651-5549 or 651-5519.
What's new in spine care? A free program from 6:30 to 8 p.m., in the Harrison Room at Southeast Missouri Hospital. Henrik Mike-Mayer, M.D., newly with Orthopaedic Associates, will discuss the newest options in the treatment of back pain and the problems causing that pain. For information or to register call 651-5825.
Living Well with Diabetes, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fitness Plus Conference Room. Physician referral required to attend. For information, call 331-5897.
I Can Cope Support Group, a new cancer support program sponsored by Saint Francis Medical Center for patients and their families, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 14 Doctors Park. For information, call 331-5853.
-- From staff reports