[SeMissourian.com] Fair ~ 65°F  
River stage: 32.37 ft. Rising
Friday, July 31, 2015

Out of the past 6/11/06

Sunday, June 11, 2006

25 years ago: June 11, 1981

Saint Francis Medical Center has received the go-ahead for a $6.7 million project that will relocate and expand the center's rapidly growing critical care services; the Missouri Health Facilities Commission has approved a Certificate of Need for the new critical care bed and ancillary services addition.

The Missouri Legislature has passed and sent to the governor's office a suggested appropriation for Southeast Missouri State University of $17.6 million for the coming fiscal year, a funding level Southeast president Bill W. Stacy hopes Gov. Kit Bond will see fit to approve despite the fiscal restraints facing the state.

50 years ago: June 11, 1956

Approval by the Civil Aeronautics Administration of a $30,000 grant for improvements at the Cape Girardeau Municipal Airport is announced in Washington, D.C.; the money will be available after June 1, the beginning of the new fiscal year; part of the money will likely be used to make repairs to the south taxi-strip.

Theodore C. Ochs, 83, owner and operator of Pioneer Orchards of Cape Girardeau and Jackson, dies at a Cape Girardeau hospital after being a patient seven weeks.

75 years ago: June 11, 1931

Fire resulting from an explosion of an oil stove at noon destroys the frame dwelling of Dollar Welker just south of Cape Rock Drive in the northern part of Cape Girardeau; the loss, estimated conservatively at $1,500, includes the four-room house and its furnishings.

The Fred Naeter family has moved to its summer home, Boulder Crest, four miles out on Highway 61, and the apartment in The Missourian Building has been closed for the season; an effort will be made to develop the 10-acre tract into an attractive floral place that some day may become the property of the community.

100 years ago: June 11, 1906

Fourteen of the 27 members of the county Republican committee met at Jackson Saturday and organized; Blucher Sperling was made chairman, Edward F. Regenhardt vice chairman, Henry Puls secretary, and J.D. Porterfield treasurer.

The original and famous Boston Bloomer girls will furnish the competition for the Capahas Saturday and Sunday; the team was organized in 1892 by W.P. Needham, and judging from the flattering press notices being showered upon them, the local boys will have to play good baseball in order to secure a victory.

-- Sharon K. Sanders


Fact Check
See inaccurate information in this story?


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: