Duke reinstates men's team

Tuesday, June 6, 2006

DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke University's troubled lacrosse team will play next season, but under strict rules and close monitoring after three players were charged with rape, school President Richard Brodhead said Monday.

"I am, I know, taking a risk in reinstating men's lacrosse," Brodhead said in a statement. "The reinstatement is inevitably probationary."

Brodhead canceled the team's season April 5 after an exotic dancer who had been hired to perform at a March 13 team party told police she was raped by three team members at an off-campus house.

A university investigation also found a history of disciplinary problems involving team members, including underage drinking and public urination.

Brodhead said Monday that he and the school's athletics administrators would rethink their decision to reinstate the lacrosse team if they see any repeat of "patterns of irresponsible, individual or team behaviors familiar from the past."

A faculty committee had recommended the team be allowed to resume play but that its members should be strictly monitored.

Brodhead said he didn't decide to reinstate the team until this weekend, after all remaining players agreed to a mission statement that emphasizes academics, tolerance and a code of conduct that, among other things, prohibits underage drinking, university officials said.

A first infraction of the conduct code will result in at least a warning and community service, the university said. A second infraction will earn a three-game suspension; a third a season-long suspension.

Kevin Cassese, a two-time Duke captain and U.S. national team player, will serve as interim coach of the team while the school searches for a permanent coach, Brodhead said.

Longtime lacrosse coach Mike Pressler resigned the day Brodhead canceled the season.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: